[Zope3-Users] Re: Using svn checkout with zc packages

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jul 30 13:37:08 EDT 2007

On 30 Jul 2007, at 19:14 , Florian Lindner wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 29. Juli 2007 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:

>>> I'm fine with easy_install for installing Zope3 and the z3c
>>> packages but at this time I don't want to use it for my own
>>> projects. But when I install Zope3 (for example by easy_install
>>> zope.component) I don't find any mkzopeinstance. I know about
>>> zopeproject but that creates an egg what I don't want. How can I
>>> get mkzopeinstance with easy_install? I haven't found anything in
>>> PyPi.
>>
>> It seems that you you want to install Zope 3 from eggs but don't want
>> your own projects to be eggs (hence you reject zopeproject). I don't
>> quite see the point of that reasoning. The whole idea of Zope being
>> available in egg form is that we can use egg machinery (deployment,
>> dependency management, etc.) for your own projects.
>>
>> Anyway, mkzopeinstance isn't available when you install Zope 3 from
>> eggs because it's not egg-aware. It's completely geared towards the
>> full tree installation (from tarball or checkout). And frankly, as I
>> pointed out in the paragraph above, it doesn't make that much sense
>> in an egg-centric world anyway. I suggest zopeproject or the
>> zc.buildout recipes from zc.zope3recipes as alternatives.
>
> Hi!
> What I want is:
> - have an runnable Zope3. I don't care if it is an SVN checkout, a
> released
> version or as an egg

Then why don't you get a checkout if the other stuff troubles you so
much? In my very first response to you I wrote:

"Of course you can get a checkout of any package you wish from
svn.zope.org, including the zc.* packages. However, they'll likely
have dependencies which you will have to resolve as well."

I think those a very clear instructions: get the package you want
from subversion and also get its dependencies so that it works.
What's the problem?

> - be able to use the z3c packages
> - don't need to work in a new build architecture
>
> It seems that these requirements are diametrically opposed. I
> suppose working
> in the zc.buildout appears to be the least evil (or even a good at
> the end)
> in your eyes, isn't it?

I'm not sure what "working in the zc.buildout" is supposed to mean. I
don't consider zc.buildout evil. Not totally at least :).