[Zope3-Users] Re: Using svn checkout with zc packages

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jul 30 15:43:28 EDT 2007

Tobias Rodäbel wrote:
> Am 30.07.2007 um 19:37 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:
>
>> I'm not sure what "working in the zc.buildout" is supposed to mean. I
>> don't consider zc.buildout evil. Not totally at least :).
>>

> I benefit from zc.buildout in two ways for my zope projects since i
> figured it out:
>
>   - every-time-and-every-place reproducable development environments
>   - only install what is really necessary

Yes.

> But sometimes:
>   - I am bothered by that .installed.cfg (I always stumble over it,
>     because it's hidden).

What's there to stumble over if it's hidden? Just put it on your
svn:ignore list and move on.

>   - Someone already mentioned the .pyc-file misery.
>   - And it's not easy to find the right order for including the
> .zcml-files in larger projects. Maybe there is a recommended order
> somewhere which I didn't recognize until now. I thought about extracting
> it from the DEPENDENCIES.cfg and import-statements.

This is not a zc.buildout problem. zc.buildout is a general purpose
deployment tool and not specific to Zope 3. I've seen people mix this up
several times now, so I thought I'd restate this to make it absolutely
clear.

Now, what you mention *is* a real problem, though. If packages depend on
other packages' configuration, they should include this configuration
themselves as well (the ZCML machinery will make sure that files aren't
executed twice). This is something that I hope to fix at one of the
upcoming sprints (we have one planned specifically dedicated to sorting
out package dependencies and things like that).

In the mean time, I suggest looking at the project template that
zopeproject generates. It may provide some pointers.