[Zope3-Users] Application instantiation without ZMI

John Maddison maddisjohn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 05:57:10 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've just started playing around with using z3c.layer to create
applications that don't use the ZMI at all.  Everything is pretty
simple so far, except for one fairly important step: creating my
initial application object in the ZODB.  What methods do people use to
create their application root objects (aside from the ZMI)?

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few ways:
 * Special BrowserPage (named, e.g. 'install-app') that creates the
application object and puts it in /
 * Listening for the ZODB open event and creating/inserting the
application object from the handler
 * weird ZODB root object adapter

Is there a "right" or intended way to do this, or is it much of a muchness?

Thanks for your thoughts!