[Zope3-Users] z3c.form 1.4.0, z3c.formui 1.1.0, and z3c.formdemo 1.2.0 released!

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jun 29 03:50:17 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

again thanks to the great feedback we received -- especially from David Pratt,
Roy Mathew, and Joachim Werner -- we were able to fine-tune our new form
framework even more to make it as robust of a foundation as possible for your
projects! New features include group support, fully internationalized widgets
for number and calendar fields, a richer select widget, refined form
templates, and of course a new demo!

BTW, congratulations to Roger who became father for the third time last
weekend!

Again for the curious and impatient ...
---------------------------------------

There is also a new demo, of course! The "Questionnaire" demo provides a form
for filling out a simple questionaire about someones Zope community
involvement and then provides a very simple results page. Technically this
demo (available for the DIV- and Table-based layouts) demonstrates the usage
of groups, a new feature of this release, as well as writing attribute value
adapters.

To run the demos do the following::

  $ svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/z3c.formdemo/trunk formdemo
  $ cd formdemo
  $ python bootstrap.py
  $ ./bin/buildout -N
  $ ./bin/demo fg

Now you can access the demo under:

  http://localhost:8080/

On the Javascript Front
-----------------------

Paul has made some great progress recently and we have now two demos working,
including a fully Javascript-driven calculator. I'll leave it up to Paul to
decide whether he wants to make an announcement, but he will be definitely
promoting his work at EuroPython!

<secret>To see the demos: Replace "formdemo" with "formjsdemo" and follow the
instructions above.</secret>

Changes
-------

z3c.form
~~~~~~~~

- Feature: The select widget grew a new ``prompt`` flag, which allows you to
  explicitely request a selection prompt as the first option in the selection
  (even for required fields). When set, the prompt message is shown. Such a
  prompt as option is common in Web-UIs.

- Feature: Allow "no value message" of select widgets to be dynamically
  changed using an attribute value adapter.

- Feature: Internationalized data conversion for date, time, date/time,
  integer, float and decimal. Now the locale data is used to format and parse
  those data types to provide the bridge to text-based widgets. While those
  features require the latest zope.i18n package, backward compatibility is
  provided.

- Feature: All forms now have an optional label that can be used by the UI.

- Feature: Implemented groups within forms. Groups allow you to combine a set
  of fields/widgets into a logical unit. They were designed with ease of use
  in mind.

- Feature: Button Actions -- in other words, the widget for the button field
  -- can now be specified either as the "actionFactory" on the button field or
  as an adapter.

- Bug: Recorded all public select-widget attributes in the interface.

z3c.formui
~~~~~~~~~~

- Feature: Registered all defined macros for each form template. Also, added
  more slots to the templates providing more hooks for customization.

- Feature: Added a macro/slot for the "required info", which explains how
  required fields are marked.

- Feature: Added support for form labels.

- Feature: Added support for groups to templates.

z3c.formdemo
~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Feature: Added new field "promptChoiceField" to the "All Widgets" demo
  demonstrating the prompt message of the select widget.

- Feature: Increased the integer default value of "All Widgets" demo to show
  off our new internationalized converter.

- Feature: Made ``bytesField`` and ``passwordField`` non-required, since they
  do not show their default values prohibiting the form to successfully
  submit, which can be annoying when playing around.

- Feature: New "Questionnaire" demo shows how to use groups effectively. It
  also demonstrates how the label of buttons and widgets can be changed using
  attribute value adapters.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Stephan