[Zope3-Users] Re: general zope question

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Mar 8 17:55:07 EST 2007

tyson wrote:
> I would like to build an application with Zope3 that does not use the
> ZODB at all.  I want to pull my data from my own database, display it to
> the user and allow them to change and edit the values with forms.  Is
> Zope the right solution for this situation?  I know everyone says the
> ZODB is very powerful and I know forms are very easy to generate through
> widgets and formlibs, but I don't want to store my information via
> Zope.   Sqlos is another solution I have heard of  but I dont' want to
> use that either.  Is it conceivable to build an application in Zope3
> with an outside database and not use the ZM?

You can use formlib and views and all that without storing the data in
persistent objects in the ZODB. It just happens that storing things in
the ZODB is really easy too.

You may be interested to look at http://plone.org/products/alchemist
which uses some of these tools against relational data sources. It uses
SQLAlchemy, which I recently learned and which seems really lovely to
work with.

It's not a pure zope 3 solution, but I'm told the zope 2 dependencies
are fairly minimal and it probably could be refactored to not depend on it.

Martin