[Zope3-Users] Zope 3.3.0 creating DTML page TypeError: readline() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

Tom Dossis td at yoma.com.au
Fri Mar 9 21:43:53 EST 2007

David Christensen wrote:
> zope3-users:
>
> I am a newbie running Zope 3.3.0 on FreeBSD 6.2.  I'm trying to create a "hello,
> world!" home page.  When I browse to my Zope instance, log in using the
> administrator account, drill down to [Top] -> ++etc++site -> default, choose DTML
> Page, enter the magic words in the text area, and click Add, my browser indicates
> error 500 and z3.log says:
>

>     2007-03-09T17:55:06 ERROR SiteError http://p3800.holgerdanske.com:80
> 80
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "/usr/local/www/Zope3/lib/python/zope/publisher/publish.py",
> line 126, in publish
>         request.processInputs()
>       File "/usr/local/www/Zope3/lib/python/zope/publisher/browser.py",
> line 263, in processInputs
>         fs = FieldStorage(fp=fp, environ=self._environ, keep_blank_value
> s=1)
>       File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/cgi.py", line 530, in __init__
>         self.read_multi(environ, keep_blank_values, strict_parsing)
>       File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/cgi.py", line 650, in read_multi
>         environ, keep_blank_values, strict_parsing)
>       File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/cgi.py", line 532, in __init__
>         self.read_single()
>       File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/cgi.py", line 665, in read_single
>         self.read_lines()
>       File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/cgi.py", line 687, in read_lines
>         self.read_lines_to_outerboundary()
>       File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/cgi.py", line 715, in read_lines_to
> _outerboundary
>         line = self.fp.readline(1<<16)
>     TypeError: readline() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

I've seen this error posted before - but can't recall the details -
almost certain it's a bug.  Check the collector - and/or install Zope 3.3.1

> I'm just fumbling around with Zope, and don't know if I'm using the software
> wrong or if this is a bug in Zope (or elsewhere).
>

> I guess the meta-question is: "what's the best way to learn Zope?".  STFW, I
> can't seem to find any Zope 3 tutorials, and the most recent online edition of
> "The Zope Book" seems to cover version 2.6.  Should I attempt to read/follow that
> version of the book using Zope 3 and "discover" the differences, or would I be
> better off installing Zope 2.6?

Zope3 and Zope2 are different beasts.

The Zope3 'home' page is http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/FrontPage
There's a Zope3 FAQ at http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/FAQ

I recommend the book 'Web Component Development with Zope3'.
The 2nd edition has just been released.  Seriously consider getting it.

The author's website is http://worldcookery.com/ and the 'Appetizers'
section lists refs to tutorials and getting started with zope3.

Unless you need to specifically use Zope2 for some legacy purpose, USE
Zope3.  You'll be a much better programmer.

regards,
-Tom