[Zope3-Users] Re: zc.queue conflict question

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Sun May 20 20:56:25 EDT 2007

On May 20, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Gary Poster wrote:
>>> Why does adding to identical objects to a queue at the same time
>>> result in a conflict? Surely they should both just get added in
>>> an artbitary order?
>> Basically, the constraint allows for more powerful conflict
>> resolution, or at least simpler code.
>
> Um, can you explain that? How is adding two dissimilar objects
> different from adding two identical objects?
>
>> I'd certainly welcome a variation that removed the constraint,
>> possibly in exchange for weaker conflict resolution, if you were
>> willing to contribute it to zc.queue.
>
> Sure, but I'm still hazy on what the problem with adding two
> identical objects is. Can you explain?

Sure.

The `pull` is actually the interesting part, and it becomes more so
when you allow an arbitrary pull.  By asserting that you do not
support having equal items in the queue at once, you can simply say
that when you remove equal objects in the current state and the
contemporary, conflicting state, it's a conflict error.  Ideally you
don't enter another equal item in that queue again, or else in fact
this is still an error-prone heuristic:

- start queue == [X];
- begin transactions A and B;
- B removes X and commits;
- transaction C adds X and Y and commits;
- transaction A removes X and tries to commit, and conflict
resolution code believes that it is ok to remove the new X from
transaction C because it looks like it was just an addition of Y).
Commit succeeds, and should not.

If you don't assert that you can use equality to examine conflicts,
then you have to come up with another heuristic.  Given that the
conflict resolution code only gets three states to resolve, I don't
know of a reliable one.

Therefore, zc.queue has a policy of assuming that it can use equality
to distinguish items.  It's limiting, but the code can have a better
confidence of doing the right thing.

Also, FWIW, this is policy I want: for my use cases, it would be
possible to put in two items in a queue that handle the same issue.
With the right equality code, this can be avoided with the policy the
queue has now.

It's worth noting that putting persistent.Persistent objects (or non-
persistent objects that refer to persistent.Persistent objects in
code used for conflict resolution) into objects with conflict-
resolving behavior such as BTrees or zc.queues will stymie conflict
resolution code, because persistent.Persistent objects other than the
conflicted one are not around.  This leads to a problem Jim and I
recently discovered with zope.app.keyreference.persistent being used
with intids.  I intend to write up some blurbs about this and other
issues in the zc.queue docs (although they are pertinent to BTrees
too) asap.  A collector issue would probably be in order too.

Gary