[Zope3-Users] Re: Getting started with a zope 3 install as eggs

Philipp von Weitersehausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Nov 4 18:02:37 EST 2007

Jesper Petersen wrote:
> Hi Christian,
> I've looked a bit at zopeproject, but I'm still wondering if it's
> possible to still install zope as eggs without zopeproject (if that
> even makes sense).

Sure, you can do that. Nobody's stopping you. It's just that zopeproject
gives you a head start with the sandbox. It's all about getting the
environment primed and installing the most common eggs. From there you
can take it anywhere you like.

> Will zopeproject become _the_ way of developing in the future?

Dunno. I've primarily developed as a replacement tool for the
tarball-centric mkzopeinstance script, because I didn't want to type all
that boiler plate all the time. I use it in trainings, quite successfully.

Note that it's offspring from grokproject, which we've been using to set
up Grok-based sandboxes for much longer now. I think the basic principle
is well-established now.

> I have a hosting situation that is a bit unclear
> when it comes to running zopeproject because they use good old instances.
> I have a discussion with them at the moment so I hope I get this sorted
> out :)

A zopeproject-generated sandbox is like an instance, except that it also
installs the Zope eggs, and therefore is self-contained (the eggs can
still be shared among multiple sandboxes, though). If you can host
instances, you should be able to host buildout-driven sandboxes (because
that's what zopeproject generates) too.