[Zope3-Users] Eggs and classic instance homes, again... (was Re: Eggs, workingenv.py, and 'classic' instance homes)

Jeff Shell eucci.group at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:31:55 EST 2007

Oops. Forgot to send this to the list as well as Stephan. Goddamn Gmail.

On Nov 8, 2007 8:28 AM, Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> last time I promised I would be more responsive to your mails, so here you
> go. :-)

Thanks!

> First of all, let me say that I have no system in production yet, which uses
> eggs. I think only Lovely Systems and Zope Corp. do; and maybe some smaller
> applications. So I would not worry about not being up-to-date. In fact, the
> last stable release is still 3.3.1, which tells the story of the big Zope 3
> tree.
>
> That said, have you seen my Zope 3.4.0b2 announcement _[1]? It was the first
> public announcement making people aware that eggs are really happening. I
> purposefully did not say that Zope 3.4 will be the last tarball release,
> because (a) I think we cannot abandon people that quickly and (b) it is now
> really easy to create a new tarball release thanks to a couple of scripts I
> wrote.

This is where I start to get confused. I understand, and am glad for,
the continuation of tarball releases for this round.

My main question is: how does one mix and match? We have a lot of
external software requirements and I'd rather get some of those as
eggs than keep doing individual subversion checkouts.

My big concern, which is something that affects all packaging systems,
is how to tell packaged stuff that hand-build stuff meets the
requirements. If I want to use an egg in a particular environment that
has dependencies on:

    - zope.component 3.4.0  (or anything built into the zope 3.4 tarball)
    - sqlalchemy 0.4.0
    - simplejson

Would it know that zope.component was already offered via the whole
Zope 3.4 tarball?

It seems like you do things the classic way, or the egg/buildout way,
and nothing in between. This makes things like z3c.form intimidating
to me because I don't know if/how it will work in my vanilla zope
environment (and with such a long time span between 3.3.1 and the
eventual 3.4, I doubt it or its dependencies could work in 3.3.1). I
may be wrong about all of that, but that's how I currently perceive
things. Things just look so different between the two.

--
Jeff Shell