[Zope3-Users] Configuring a package to use a file in buildout

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Fri Nov 23 03:45:35 EST 2007

Hi,

I have a custom logger in a package registered with utility

<zope:utility  factory=".logger.MyLogger" name="logger" />

In the code it sets itself a logfile to write to, up to now that has
been in a 'log' directory in the package itself.

Now I want to use a log file which is in the buildout of the
application. How could I go about finding that directory from python
code in the package?

The only route that I have come up with so far is to write a
meta:directive which I can use to register the logging utility with a
file path. Something like:

      namespace="http://namespaces.zope.org/rdb"
      name="provideLogger"
      schema=".zcml.IProvideLoggerDirective"
      handler=".zcml.loggerhandler"
      />

Which I could use like

  <provideLogger component=".logger.MyLogger"
                 log="/path/to/log/file" />

But there may be a better/easier way. Suggestions?

Regards,
Darryl