[Zope3-Users] Re: Prevent an event

Markus Kemmerling markus.kemmerling at meduniwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 17 14:20:51 EDT 2007

Am 17.09.2007 um 19:45 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:

> Kevin Smith wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply, I'm having scaling issues and want to be in
>> control of the indexing process. I have a large number of
>> documents already in the system.
>> I believe the best case for me in the short run is to prevent the
>> initial indexing on catalog creation and if understand it
>> correctly, recursively touching all of my objects.
>
> Just to be clear: As far as I remember, nothing happens on catalog
> creation. Stuff happens on *index* creation. When you add an index
> to a catalog that is already aware of objects, it will make sure
> that the newly added catalog is up to date by forcing an indexing
> procedure. And yes, this will wake up all the objects in your
> catalog (which isn't a recursive process, nor does it mean
> "touch"ing in the sense of modification).
>
> Unfortuantely, there isn't a way to prevent the execution of a
> selected event subscriber (which is probably what you want; you
> don't want to prevent the event as a whole).

Why not just disable the `indexAdded` event subscriber, add the
indices, and enable it again?  Ok, that means two server restarts,
but there will probably be a time when you could do that and adding
the indices themselves is *not* time consuming.

Or am I missing something?

Regards,
Markus Kemmerling