[Zope3-Users] Question about what recipe install needs to return

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Apr 6 14:22:03 EDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 2:10 PM, David Pratt wrote:
> Hi. I have created a recipe where I am attempting to install
> multiple scripts to bin as part of an install method. As a result I
> have a few calls to zc.buildout.easy_install.scripts but am
> returning nothing from the install method.
>
> The recipe emits a warning indicating 'A path or iterable os paths
> should be returned'. In fact I cannot return a list indicating it
> needs a string. Is it necessary to return anything from the install
> method?

Yes.  You must return an string or an iterable of strings.

> Why?

Because that's the API.  :)

Returning None is almost always a bug.  If you really want to say you
didn't install anything, return ().

If you are installing scripts, then you should return their paths so
they get uninstalled if your part is uninstalled.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation