[Zope3-Users] Re: [Zope-dev] Zope 3.4.0 candidate 1 Released

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:22:28 EST 2008

On Friday 01 February 2008, Jim Fulton wrote:
> - I think the goal of these releases is less to provide an application
> than to provide a possibly useful collection of some libraries.  This
> is similar to the Python standard library.  Some people see
> significant value in this.  I believe that other web frameworks, like
> TurboGears, also make releases that assemble a bunch of eggs, so
> people can use their frameworks without having to download eggs from
> PyPI.

Yes, and I consider this done as soon as I upload a versioned KGS file. Maybe
making an announcement as well.

The problem right now is that we have not even told people about the eggs or
the KGS (many will not pay attention until Zope 3.4.0 final). Nor do we have
a transition story. Nor do we have a cohesive "how to use eggs" story and
documentation.

Many people still customize the Rotterdam skin to build applications in Zope
3!

> - The new approach to making a release would be to create an egg-based
> release, probably building on zc.sourcerelease.

As you know, I am in favor of this approach. But it will take someone to
figure out how to do it, write a few scripts and provide a transition to this
way of doing it.

Regards,
Stephan
--