[Zope3-Users] Re: [Zope-dev] Zope 3.4.0 candidate 1 Released

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Feb 1 15:26:24 EST 2008

Hey,

On Feb 1, 2008 8:59 PM, Paul Carduner <paulcarduner at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I think the website is one of the huge impediments to joining the Zope
> community.  When you compare zope.org to all the other web framework
> websites like django, turbogears, and RoR, it is pretty clear why
> people aren't drawn to Zope 3.  Isn't it something of a disgrace that
> the website for a powerful web application framework is as outdated as
> zope.org?

Oh, I think everybody agrees. We even have a foundation effort to
replace the website (the referenced project). We've had several
efforts before; some where I myself was involved, but it's a very
difficult thing to move forward. We are moving forward however.

Note that meanwhile grok.zope.org *does* present a quite welcoming
face to Zope 3 technology - last week we had an all-new website going
online. Since we just had to worry about grok for that one, we could
move more quickly. We definitely designed it so it wouldn't lose out
too badly in the comparison with the websites of other web frameworks.

>  People don't move to zope for the same reason you wouldn't
> hire an interior designer who has an ugly house.  If things don't
> really get moving on this front in the near future, it might be a good
> idea to make zope.org a summer of code project.  Would anyone else
> like to start a new discussion thread on the topic of zope.org?  I
> sure would.

So, as I said above, this is not a new topic. People, including
myself, have been pointing this out for years. In public. :) Please do
contact Martin Aspeli and join the effort already in progress!

Note that we need people who can contribute *content* to the website
the most. Those have been the hardest to find in the past. We are
beyond technology discussions and the design work is also in good
hands.

Regards,

Martijn