[Zope3-Users] Zope eggification - impressions

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Feb 5 10:17:12 EST 2008

Hey,

On Feb 5, 2008 3:49 PM, Hermann Himmelbauer <dusty at qwer.tk> wrote:
> At first, thanks to the newest Zope-3.4.0c1 release. I just installed it from
> the tarball and it seems to work.
>
> However, I'm still somehow technically overwhelmed by installing Zope3 the
> egg-style way - maybe it's not that hard, but I can't really find a good
> entry point to that topic. It would probably also be a good thing to outline
> this at the zope.org website (btw., the releases listed there are quite old).
>
> For a beginner like me, I'm confronted with a lot of technical (and
> complicated) things, where I don't know what I need or what to choose
> (buildout, zopeproject, Egg, PyPi, SVN, grok, setuptools etc.), so something
> like a "Howto install Zope3 the Egg-style way" would be very, very handy.

For Grok, just go to the 'download' page on grok.zope.org (or for a
more extensive introduction, the first section of the tutorial). It
will
tell you all you need to know to install Grok. We could use more
documentation on how to proceed
after that using buildout, though.

The Zope 3 you'll end up installing for Grok will end up differently
than if you install Zope 3 some other way, as Grok
requires slightly different versions of many libraries. You can set up
your buildout configuration in such a way that
if there is a version of a library to reuse, it will, so it won't
re-download it if it's not needed. grokproject in fact does this
for you too (a shared buildout-eggs directory is created).

The other methods of installing Zope 3 are different, but I think we
have reasonable install documentation for Grok at least. This is
probably related to the focus Grok has on helping beginners get up to
speed (and making life easier for experts).

If you have any problems or feedback to the Grok installation
procedure, we hope to hear from you in grok-dev!

Regards,

Martijn