AW: [Zope3-Users] Python Package Construction

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Thu Jun 19 17:15:43 EDT 2008

Hi Tim

> [...]
>
> [Discussion follows]
>
> I am implementing a set of specifications for healthcare IT
> for Python programmers to be able to develop interoperable
> healthcare applications.
> I am using ZCA (aka.Zope3) extensively.
>
> My desire is to implement the specs as faithfully as possible for two
> reasons:
> 1) teachability -  how easy/difficult is it to teach the
> framework and specifications to new developers?
> 2) maintainability - which approach, if either, will make it
> easier to maintain the framework if/when the specifications change?
>
> My first pass was to develop a skeleton of the specs using
> Interfaces from the ZCA approach and then the implementations
> following the document structure of the specs.
>
> The specs are available via SVN at:
> http://www.openehr.org/svn/specification/TRUNK/publishing/arch
> itecture/
>
> It is best to probably use real examples. Following the
> document structure for packaging AND using the ZCA convention
> of having a sub-directory for interfaces caused massive
> circular import issues due to some classes being used in the
> interface definition of classes inside the same interface
> file being imported into the implementation file.  If that
> sounds confusing; it is.  It was confusing to write too. :-)
> If anyone has questions I'll try to expand.
>
> It is best to probably use specific, real examples.
> http://www.openehr.org/svn/specification/TRUNK/publishing/arch
> itecture/rm/data_types_im.pdf
>
> (note class names are converted from the upper case,
> underscore separated style to CamelCase)
>
> The package openehr.rm.datatypes.text defines the
> implementation class CodePhrase.  The associated interface
> file openehr.rm.datatypes.interfaces.text needed CodePhrase
> as an attribute type in  DvCodedText and TermMapping needs
> both CodePhrase and DvCodedText.  This quickly got out of control.
>
> So my solution to solving the circular imports is to take
> each interface and implementation and put them into one file.
> Research tells me that this is probably the second mostly
> popular ZCA approach.  So, ICodePhrase and CodePhrase are now
> in openehr/rm/datatypes/codephrase.py, DvCodeText and
> IDvCodedText in openehr/rm/datatypes/dvcodedtext.py, etc.
>
> But wait, now I don't have a 'text package'.  So if
> codephrase.py and dvcodedtext.py were in
> openehr/rm/datatypes/text/ that would solve the problem.
> BUT! Throughout the specs many of the names are VERY long
> already.  Adding another package name that is from 4 - 15 (or
> more) characters long adds to the length of already long
> import statements, i.e.
>
> (sorry for the email line wraps)
>
> from openehr.am.archetype.creferenceobject import
> ICReferenceObject,CReferenceObject
>
> should really be
>
> from openehr.am.archetype.constraintmodel.creferenceobject
> import ICReferenceObject,CReferenceObject
>
> Thoughts, opinions and jeers all gratefully accepted.  :-)

For a usecase like this, I personaly recommend to
defina all interfaces in one module which probably
is a namespace if you need alot of interfaces to define.

e.g.

openehr.interfaces.foobar.IFooBar

the reason why:

- spearate interface from implementation. That's an
  important aspect in a component architecture. If you
  define your implementation and interfaces in one file,
  then you don't need a component architecture.

- interfaces are separated in a well know place.

This means if you define a module and you like to import
an interface you can import just one line:

from openehr import interfaces

Which makes it very simple.

Regards
Roger Ineichen