[Zope3-Users] thoughts about z3c.form-package

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Wed Oct 8 10:59:36 EDT 2008

Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 16:28:07 schrieb Roger Ineichen:
> Hi Hermann
>
> > Betreff: Re: [Zope3-Users] thoughts about z3c.form-package
>
> [...]
> > So, I think two solutions to that could be:
> >
> > - Improve the documentation (however, I'm unsure in what way, though).
> > - Create a WIKI or something similar where people can find
> > suggestions how to implement certain patterns with z3c.form.
>
> That's a very good idea
>
> [...]
>
> > - If we find patterns that can not be implemented with
> > z3c.form in a viable way, try to extend z3c.form so that it
> > is possible.
>
> Yes, we should implement more things, e.g. the ObjectWidget
> and better sub forms. Anything else?

Well, that looks like the major points. What I specifically need, are lists of
ObjectWidgets (representing relations in an RDB).

> > For me, this looks like the better approach than to trying to
> > implement a "better" form package that may lead to the very
> > same problems as z3c.form in the end.
>
> I think it's an illusion ot write a simpler form package which
> does a better job and is simpler at the same time. Every concept
> will ha ve it own edges and limitations. But I whould agree that
> it's possible to write a simpler form package which only has the
> goal to generate schema field based HTML widgets. But the problem is
> if you are using such a package and you need to write a PDF generator
> you can't probably use that simpler framwork and you have to find
> another way do to the same again.

Exactly.

> Probably we can add another API for z3c.form and write a
> z3c.formzcml package which offers the same editForm and addForm
> ZCML directives  which zope.app.form offers. This whould probably
> make things simpler if you start using z3c.form.

Hmmm, well, I'm not so sure about that. I personally have minor usage for such
vanilla-implementations. At first, such things may suffice, but later on, I
always needed some specific form behaviour that is not covered out of the
box.

Moreover, z3c.form is complex, but it isn't hard if one knows what to do/how
to do - which leads me back to my WIKI idea...

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7