[Zope3-Users] thoughts about z3c.form-package

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Thu Oct 9 06:01:42 EDT 2008

Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 17:14:35 schrieb Tim Cook:
> (Thanks Roger and Adam for your earlier replies.)
>
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 16:59 +0200, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> > Moreover, z3c.form is complex, but it isn't hard if one knows what to
> > do/how to do - which leads me back to my WIKI idea...
>
> Hermann,
>
> This is a very good point.  For those of us just trying to get a handle
> on how to use z3c.form, in the best and most efficient way, a Wiki is a
> great way to collect patterns.
>
> I think (feel?) that z3c.form is a very powerful package and the
> documentation isn't bad either.  Some of us learn better by seeing
> actual use cases though in order to adapt them to our own needs.

Yes, that's true. However, the documentation does not cover, hmmm, I'd
say, "the very basic concepts", which helps the user understand why z3c.form
was designed in this specific way.

For instance, Roger "enlightened" me yestereday that z3c.form could also be
used for creating PDF documents - I never thought about that, but he is of
course right.

So, I have the impression that a lot of experience combined with a good
knowledge of advanced patterns (e.g. adapters) led to the design concepts of
z3c.form, while the documentation (e.g. in form.txt) covers only quite basic
things, which may lead people to the misconception that z3c.form has a
limited usage.

Therefore, a better documentation approach would be to first present quite
some theory about web-frameworks, HTML-Forms etc., which leads to a bigger
picture and thus to a higher acceptance of the complexity in z3c.form. If
this is then combined with a WIKI-Style "pattern-receipe" section, most
understandability issues may be solved.

To me, this problem can be applied for many parts of Zope3: Geniality is due
to limited knowledge interpreted as useless complexity. And the answer to
this issue should, to my mind, not be to hide complexity, but to explain the
big picture, which lets people understand the geniality.

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7