[Zope3-Users] building zope 3 instances?

Jean Jordaan jean.jordaan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 01:52:16 EDT 2008

Hi Chris

>> If you still want an instance, yes. I don't particularly like instances
>> as we've had them with Zope 2 and Zope 3 (they don't quite work in a
>> WSGI environment).
>
> So what do you do instead?
> How do people get a zope 3 project/application/whatever up and running?

I'm also left wondering ..

>>> If so, could the owners of these packages hide, remove or otherwise
>>> document that they're out of date:
>>>
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.zope3checkout/1.2
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.zope3instance/1.0.0a1
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/gocept.zope3instance/2.0a2
[...]
> That is getting a bit old. The confusion from having this cruft lying
> around (in the same way as accidentally released packages) is causing a
> lot more hurt
[...]

Fully agreed .. PyPI sometimes becomes a maze of twisty packages, all alike.

Without metadata to show that there are these alternatives, and what
their status is, PyPI becomes write-only. You can't browse it and get
good information. Instead, you have to learn about the right package
to use from a mailing list or elsewhere.

Sometimes setuptools compounds the issue by finding dev releases, or
old releases, or needlessly upgrading a package and thereby breaking
something you already have.

When I still used Gentoo a few years ago, portage seemed like it was
doing a pretty good job of managing this kind of issue. However the
rules about getting something into portage were more strict.

--