[Zope3-Users] Next Step to Bug Resolution???

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 11:30:29 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 15:18 +0100, Roger Ineichen wrote:
> > class DataStructure(Persistence):
> >    """abstract class"""
>
> What is Persistence? Where does is come from?

Sorry, I was just typing in a hurry.   In reality it inherits from an
openEHR class called Locatable but that gets into another whole thing
about writing queries one time that run on every openEHR application.

> I hope you don't instanciate any of this classes and use them
> for store something. Do you?

[my next 15 minutes]

No!  These classes are part of a reference model where clinical experts
can use tools to build and govern "maximal data sets" for clinical
concepts. The tools only give them the options to use classes developed
in the reference model.  These are called archetypes and are represented
in a language called the Archetype Definition Language (A CEN/ISO
standard).
They are version controlled and every compliant system will have them.

To describe how they work in an application let's use just one attribute
of blood pressure; 'position'.
So position would be an ItemList that is composed of Elements that are
of type Text.  In the Archetype, position can be one of:
Standing
Sitting
Lying
Reclining

A specific application may only want to use Standing, Sitting, Lying.
So a GUI in one location (triage?) may only want to allow the option of
Sitting.  But say in the ER GUI they may want to also Standing and Lying
or a cardiologist may want to record Reclining (as well as the
+/-angle).  Of course there is lots more to BP than this.

So at the application level the archetype can be constrained to allow
only certain options and at the GUI level the template can be used to
further  constrain the options for ease AND accuracy of data entry.

But now everywhere that instance of that BP goes it can be validated
against the archetype and the reference model.

It really isn't unlike writing Python code that runs on multiple
platforms.  The exception here is that openEHR is also programming
language independent.

OSHIP (the app I'm working on) is the Python implementation of the
openEHR specifications.  It will be a framework for building
interoperable healthcare applications basically by writing only the
templates.  This work is based on more than 20 years of research and
development (and other language implementations).

More info at:
http://www.openehr.org/shared-resources/getting_started/openehr_primer.html

Cheers,
Tim