[Zope3-Users] Multi platform dev environment

Shailesh Kumar shaileshk at gmail.com
Sat May 30 03:00:15 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have been using Zope 3 primarily on Windows platforms for last 2.5 years.
This is what I do for the typical setup:

- Install Python 2.4.4
- Install Python for Windows extensions for Python 2.4
- Install Zope 3.3.1  (the binary installer)
- Go to C:\Python24\Scripts
- Use mkzopeinstance script to make a zope instance
- Checkout my application packages into the zope instance
- Run my application

Using the binary installers for everything works fine for me.

Apart from these, I use some more packages:
- ReportLab
- Python Imaging Library
- z3c.rml
- etc.

My SVN repository consists of my application package only. I don't check in
the zope instance to SVN. After checking out the application package in my
zope instance, I need to copy the application-configure.zcml into zope
instance's etc\package-include directory.

The zope 3.3.1 instances work perfectly as Windows services out of the box.

At times I experimented with virtualenv, and grok. But haven't been able to
stabilze their workflows on Windows so far.

Web component development with Zope 3 by Philipp von Weitershausen has been
my best resource on zope 3 developement all these years. Find more about
this book at : http://worldcookery.com/About

With regards,
- Shailesh