[ZO-Coll] [ZOC] 69/ 2 Comment "CSS uses evil pixel sizing"

Collector: NEW Zope.org (the ... zope-web at zope.org
Thu Jul 22 12:29:04 EDT 2004

Issue #69 Update (Comment) "CSS uses evil pixel sizing"
 Status Pending, skin/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://zope.org/Collectors/ZopeOrg/69

= Comment - Entry #2 by slinkp on Jul 22, 2004 12:28 pm

I think this one needs a design guru to fix it.

It's not simply a problem with using px for sizes.
As a quick experiment I tried globally substituting pt for px on a local copy of this page with all its stylesheets, and mozilla 1.4 still demonstrates the same overlapping/obscuring problems at 120% zoom.

(note: i had to fiddle a bit for this experiment - mozilla's "save as -> complete" feature does not seem to pick up stylesheets included via a <style> tag.)

= Request - Entry #1 by gvanrossum on Apr 14, 2003 3:20 pm

The CSS apparently uses pixels to size things, and that's evil when you don't know the font size on the target browser.  Using Mozilla 1.0, I did this:

- go to http://dev.nzo.zope.org/Tracker

- change Text zoom to 120%

- the "View", "Browse" and "New" links near the top of the page nearly disappear under the part of the screen where "Log in" and "Join" are listed

- change Text zoom to 150% and those links disappear altogether; if the page isn't very wide, the "search" button is displayed on top of the "feature requests" text