[ZPT] suggestion: content and/or silent repeat

Gary & Karyn Gary & Karyn" <garykaryn@earthlink.net
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:55:36 -0400

> I personally think this is very good piece of code.
> Somewhat clunky with the too odd/even conditions but cool if you open the
> code in Dreamweaver.
>
> But, like you said "forgive a newbie"
>
> Cheers, Peter

Hi, Peter. Thanks for your response.

Did you happen to read my follow-up to Magnus Heino, who also questioned my
questioning via a W3C link?  My point is that the repetition of the tbody
tags that this code produces is no kind of logical table body grouping, and
thus IMHO is sliding towards the direction of hack.

As Magnus pointed out, it is valid HTML, within the letter of the W3C "law".
However, I feel it unnecessarily breaks the spirit of the law by once again
moving towards the direction of using logical markup tags in the name of
display--something we are only now beginning to conquer elsewhere (i.e.
moving away from table tags for display, font tags, etc.) thanks to the more
widespread decent support of CSS in current browsers.

I understand your point about the two odd/even conditions but also see where
the ZPT designers are coming from: a lack of full-fledged control structures
in a templating language will encourage better separation of content, logic,
and presentation.

Thanks

Gary