[ZPT] Changing standard_html_header/footer

Ron Bickers rbickers-dated-997822883.2c2114@logicetc.com
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:01:23 -0400

I saw in the archives a nice hack to take the header/footer out of my ZPT
standard_html_template to produce the standard_html_header/footer for use by
DTML objects.  It included making the standard_html_header/footer a Python
Script, which can't be done at the root since they are protected from
deletion.  I worked around this by making two separate Python Scripts which
are called from the non-deleteable header/footer DTML methods.  It works,
but it's a hack on a hack.

The only argument I heard for not being able to delete
standard_html_(header,footer,error) is that they are expected by many
products to be around, and if they were deleted, things would break.  Is
this the only reason?

If so, would it not be reasonable to have a simple but sufficient hard-coded
version of these methods in Zope to fall back on in case they are missing
from the ZODB?  Then we could delete them, change them to Scripts, or do
whatever else we might find handy without things breaking in case of their
absence.

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.