[Zpt] Two days until TAL/TALES spec freeze.

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:14:10 -0500

> The spec doesn't have to look pristine, but content-wise we had a deadline
> of "this" friday to freeze the TAL/TALES spec. Once we can agree on the
> content, the strenuous work of turning the specs into *the* OFFICIAL
> SPECIFICATIONs can begin (concurrent with implementation). (i.e. we still
> need to clean up the EBNF and make sure we cover all exceptional cases).
>
> I noticed Shane has posted Guido's proposal to the wiki. Is the post
> accurate?

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/TALES

Mostly.  I added the following comment:

The path segments cannot contain "any character but slash"; I thought
the agreed-upon set was letters, digits, underscore, dash, period,
comma, tilde, and space.

Should mention that the expression type is case-sensitive.

The str type was replaced by a string type which may contain $-based
substitutions of the form $name or ${name}, where name is a variable
reference (but not a path); when $name is used, the name ends at the
first non-alphanumeric, non-underscore character. A literal dollar is
represented by $$.

> Obviously, we have details to document (or work out). For example, what
> happens if you redefine a "standard" variable?

I remember from our meeting that that's allowed, except for the
variable name 'standard', which may not be redefined either as local
or as global.