[ZPT] Are PT's ZCatelog Aware? - Now: Subclassing ZPT's

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 16:15:27 -0400

Lynn Walton wrote:

> Evan,
>
> So, given my situation .. that I'm building a site soon where I want my zpt
> pages indexed for a site search, and I can't wait for new versions of ZPT
> that might be already catalogable "out of the box", (which I propose by the
> way <g>) can you give me a high-level outline of what I should do to make
> them available to a ZCatalog?

Hm.. I submit that it is a "slippery slope" to be cataloguing your page templates, because if you are,

then you're essentially treating them as content. I'm not sure what you're using properties on them for,

but it sounds like you may already be far down that dark path :)

IMSHO you want to use things like the CMF Document, or some XML
Document, to store the content parts of your site, and then you "wrap"
these with page templates.

So I would say that Page Templates are absolutely *not* replacements for
DTML documents, and further, that the bastard hybrid of logic and
content that they represent should be put to pasture.

opinions-are-like-sphincters-everybody's-got-a-few-ly y'rs,
~ethan