[ZPT] Should tal:content keep surrounding tags?

jmr@computing.com jmr@computing.com
Sat, 02 Jun 2001 17:34:56 -0500 (CDT)

jim> I can think of two solutions and am interested in what ideas others
jim> may have:
jim>
jim>   A. Define tal:content so that it includes "surrounding" tags.
jim>      That is, if the marked up tag has one child that is
jim>      an element, then apply the content-replacement alogorithm
jim>      recursively to the element as if the tal:content attribute
jim>      was on the element. In the application of the above rule, maybe
jim>      apply it if there are three children, which are a text node
jim>      containing only whitespace characters, an element, and a text node
jim>      containing only whitespace characters.

This doesn't feel right to me.  I guess you're saying that the
described behaviour would not be applied if there were two children,
but instead they'd be replaced (which I guess is the normal
behaviour).  Too tricky for people to understand.  [Would
tal:attributes also work this way?  That might be handy sometimes...]

OTOH, This exact thing just caused us to switch to using style sheets
(which was on the map anyway). :) It would be nice if there were a
clean solution.

Jim Rowan
DCSI
jmr@computing.com