[ZPT] ZPT to be available as standalone Python library?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:34:49 -0500

> Is it intended to make ZPT available as a standalone Python library for use
> outside of Zope? If so, is it likely to be soon (I know that ZPT has a
> planned release of the start of April), or should I try to extract the bones
> myself if I want such a library soon?

We plan to make the TAL and METAL implementation available separately
(though I don't know how much effort we'll put into it).  The current
TALES implementation is fairly closely tied to other parts of Zope
(e.g. Python Scripts), but the TAL directory contains a basic
evaluation engine that could be used instead.  Since TALES or its
equivalent is where the links to external entities are being made,
it's hard to imagine having a full TALES implementation that's not
dependent on Zope...