[ZPT] save changes linebreaks?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:23:16 -0500

> I also find it rather annoying that after a save my text is subtly
> altered.  I've seen a line break introduced where there was none
> originally, and consistently a >s or /> on a line by itself is getting
> joined onto the end of the previous line.  I'm formatting it the
> way I want it to appear; is there some reason zpt can't save the
> formatting as I write it?

The parsers don't pass on whitespace inside <...> constructs (nor a
few other details, like which type of quotes was used and whether you
wrote ">" or "&lt;").

We were figuring that page templates are mostly useful for folks using
tools like DreamWeaver, who rarely view the HTML and don't care much
about how the HTML is formatted.

We echo back the METAL (macro) expansion of the template, otherwise
you wouldn't be seeing all this in the management interface (you would
still see it in rendered HTML, but that might be less important to
you).  This is somewhat controversial; the reason why folks want this
is that expanding the macros in the template gives a more realistic
view of what it will look like -- again this is mostly for folks using
DreamWeaver.