[ZPT] ZPT and TAL 1.0 Final Release

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:06:53 -0500

From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@digicool.com>
> It's easy enough to skip the parsing when there's no attrribute
> replacement.  But if we don't parse, we can't be sure that the
> inserted text doesn't add unbalanced elements, and this means that a
> mistake in the inserted text could screw up the page globally (rather
> than just locally).

I'd worry about this in XML, but not in HTML.  If you generate HTML with
DTML, you take your chances, and if you want structural integrity you use
ZPT to generate it instead.

> When there *is* attribute replacement, I could implement the attribute
> replacement without using a full-blown parser, but it would be
> hackish.

I have yet to use tal:replace and tal:attributes on the same tag, so this
may be a non-issue.

> Then we should define what makes something a TAL program.  A list
> whose first item is the tuple ("version", "1.0")???  I think we should
> do something better.  I guess I can design a better starting item for
> ZPT and TAL 1.1.

Define a TAL program class, and test isinstance?

> > If nobody dissents by then, I will release ZPT 1.0 final around 4pm
today.

> Fine by me.
>
> Will you include the changes I made to TAL?  (Only affect
> DummyEngine.py and the test suite.)

Yes.

> I also suggest that you check in your README.txt and your CHANGES.txt
> for PageTemplates into the tree, like I did with the README.txt for
> TAL.

Already done, but thanks for reminding me to update *.txt for the final
release.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool