[ZPT] REQUEST argument

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 09:57:35 -0500

> Don't undefined values raise an exception only where they cause some
> kind of conflict, in Python?

In pure Python any undefined variable raises a NameError and any
undefined attribute raises an AttributeError.  Of course this is only
once the entire search fails (attributes search base classes,
global variables search global and built-in).

> > Using a C preprocessor analogy: DTML has #if but not #ifdef, so we're
> > making #if do the work of #ifdef -- which usually works.
>
> Actually, seems like python's if == (CPP#if or CPP#ifdef), no?  Anyway, why
> bother relating it to C, unless you're writing a library?

No, Python's if is unlike either of CPP's versions.  I just meant this
as an analogy for those of us who are intimately familiar with
CPP. :-)