[ZPT] can zpt help solve world hunger?

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 15:41:08 -0400

From: "ender" <kthangavelu@earthlink.net>
> i was wondering if zpt can be used outside of zope (in a manner similiar
> dtml)? if not, whats needed to change this?

All three parts (TAL, PageTemplates, and ZTUtils) are designed to be used
independently of Zope.  I have not tried it, though, so I may have missed a
dependency.  I would be happy to incorporate any changes necessary to make
this work; Please use the ZPT Tracker if you find any.

> scenario 2
>
> i'd like to use zpt to generate xml/ sql ddl on the fs. i'll be creating
my
> objects from other data sources and i'd like to use zpt to generate the
> output. i'm currently doing this via dtml.

Sounds like a reasonable application for ZPT.  You will probably want to
either subclass PageTemplates or write a class that delegates to a
PageTemplate and passes data to it.  You may want to look at the TAL
DummyEngine for an example of an expression engine that uses filesystem
paths.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool