[ZPT] METAL: attributes as slots

Evan Simpson evan@zope.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:34:32 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

> So, rather than _replace_ the whole tag, use-macro and fill-slot would, in
> effect, do a set union of the attributes with the ones in the use/fill part
> taking precedence over the ones in the define part?

This wouldn't work well without more complexity.  Whenever a macro is
expanded, the "define-macro" (DM) attributes get copied into the "use-macro"
(UM).  If UM attributes overrode DM ones, your UM would never see changes to
these attributes, since it would override them with the first set copied
from the DM.

In the "define-slot" (DS) vs. "fill-slot" (FS) case, how do you suppress a
DS attribute that you don't want in the FS?

Do we have good examples motivating this idea?

Cheers,

Evan @ Zope