[ZPT] Expanded Macro Indentation

Geir Bækholt Geir Bækholt
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:14:10 +0200

Hello Michael,

Friday, October 19, 2001, 1:13:50, you wrote:

MRB> I'm familiar with the concept of XHTML, I'm sorry I didn't make that
MRB> clear. I just haven't been using it much, and it is a new skill-set for
MRB> me.

sorry .. misunderstood you there.. :-)

MRB> What I am unfamiliar with is the issue you mentioned, namely
MRB> "...creating HTML4 single attributes and never XHTML compliant ones..."

in  html >= 4.01 there are some singleton attributes ; for example :
'selected' , 'checked' and a couple more.

XHTML specifies that these are to be written out as fullky qualified
XML-attributes selected="selected" etc..

I ZPT , though ' they are hardcoded in the source as getting special
treatment , and any values passed to them with tal:attributes are
evaluated as a boolean expression, setting them on or off. (someone
correct me if i ma wrong here). The boolean behaviour is a cool
concept, but they still break the spec in the output.

MRB> I am not sure what you mean by this, and you seem to indicate that there
MRB> are other problems with creating XHTML producing Page Templates as well.

MRB> Could you explain what the issues are with using Page Templates to
MRB> create XHTML?

Not many more directly related to ZPT , but a quite a lot related to
Zope. They are mostly annoyances you can code around instead of using
Zope's shortcuts.

calling image-objects for example, produces an image tag. (neat
feature) - which even got patched to include an ending slash. - still
it produces a border="0" attribute , which is illegal in XHTML1.0
Strict. - thus , i have to make my image tags myself , instead of the
shortcut.

Just a minor nuisance , of course , but there are plenty of them.
(structured-text , for example , produces uppercase tables.. ) I'll
try to root them all out soon , and compile a nice list of what ought
to (in my opinion) be patched.

--
Geir Bækholt                       web-developer
geirh@funcom.com             funcom oslo | webdev-team