[ZPT] ZPT with Amaya and WEBDAV questions

Neil Burnett neil@efc.be
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:54:20 +0200

Hi

I am experimenting with ZPT using Amaya and WEBDAV (on WinNT) and have a
couple of questions.

1	 It would be nice if Amaya's Open command could see my Web Folders:-(
Without that, I am stuck with remembering the names of the pages I want to
edit as Amaya doesn't seem to have a history of recently used pages. Any
solutions?

2	When I create PTs that use other PT chunks, I can only edit the master PT.
This is because if I edit the chunk directly, Amaya turns it into a full
html compliant PT. This means I end up with web pages inside web pages that
sometimes don't work (at least in Amaya).

3	It seems very easy to delete tal statements through Amaya simply by
selecting the text to be replaced and deleting. I would worry about giving a
PT to a designer who maybe doesn't fully understand the implications of
deleting or moving the mock-up text. Can it be locked? Has anyone got
experience of handing over PTs to 'PT-unaware' designers?

4	I am confused by the syntax of tal when referencing other objects. It
seems that one needs to know the target object's class (PT, DTML Method,
Python Script) in order to reference it appropriately. I am now prefacing
all object references with the 'structure' keyword and that seems to give
the generality I want. I hope this means I can acquire referenced chunks
that could be PTs, DTML Methods, PythonScript or ExternalMethod without
having to change the PT source? Is this a reasonable desire?

Finally, I am looking for some sample web site frameworks/patterns using
PTs. My goal is to move my current sites from an MS-Frontpage system to
Zope, but I get the feeling I will need to do a lot of architectural design
work before I can benefit fully from Zope's features. Maybe someone is
working on sample site architectures? Insights such as that by Wade in
http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zpt/2001-October/002222.html are very
useful, and it would be even better to have a place where these techniques
could be documented and refined.

Thanks

Neil