[ZPT] Are Page Templates cached?

Alexander Limi alexander@zope.no
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:49:39 +0100

Hi,

Tried to post this on the CMF list a little while ago, but didn't get any
real answers, so I thought I'd try this list since there are ZPT developers
here. (I assume the problem is non-trivial, since there weren't any replies
on the CMF list.)

I'm trying out the Filesystem-based Page Templates in CMF to construct a
skin here (Plone, in case you know it :), and I'm having a problem with
getting my site to update whenever I do a change.

When I change a Page Template and reload a page based on that template, it
is not updated. If I restart Zope between the updates, it shows my changes.
Is something being cached here? If so, can I turn it off?

And, this *only* happens with the main Page Template - the one that is the
Template for the whole site, and I add content and templates into. In my
case, the equivalent of main_template in the ZPT skin supplied with CMF.

This is really confusing me. Anyone wants to explain me what's going on?
It's really frustrating to work with this when I have to restart Zope every
time I make small changes to the main template. My productivity isn't
exactly helped by this ;)

On a related note, the first time I try to access the CMF part of my site
that uses the ZPT-based skin, it takes about 10 seconds before Zope spits
out the HTML. Subsequent accesses are fast and responsive. Is there caching
going on here too?

For the record: I'm running Zope 2.4.2 with the latest CVS version of the
CMF on a Wintendo box with NTFS filesystem. I've tested in IE6, Opera5 and
Mozilla 0.9.6, all with caching turned off. I'm running Zope in debug mode.

--
  Alexander Limi
  Dracvl on #zope