[ZPT] Tempalte "program" not persistent

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:10:17 +1000

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 12:10, Evan Simpson wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> > We're having problems with the non-persistence of the page template
> > programs. The first being that it takes a while to cook the templates,
> > and that has to be done every time the server is restarted. The second is
> > that we see strange problems with the program only being updated in some
> > threads (we think).
>
> The first is expected, the second isn't.  If you could pin that behavior
> down reproducibly, I'd appreciate it.

That's one of the problems - it's not exactly consistent (which is why we're
blaming it on threads). It's on my TODO to get a solid example, and when I
do, I'll let you know :)

> > I haven't really had much chance to think about it - so are there any
> > obvious reasons why the program can't be made persistent?
>
> None whatsoever.  There's a storage space cost, of course, for the time
> savings.  The compiled program is somewhat larger than the original
> text.  I really wish we could create a compact "parser hints" data
> structure that allowed fast re-parsing, but I don't know enough to do
> it, and it might not be possible without getting into the parsers' guts.

OK, we'll switch over to persisting the programs on one of our dev machines
and see if that makes our errors go away.

     Richard