[ZPT] [Weakness] Nested macros reference points

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:59:06 +0200 (CEST)

Sure, macros should not be developed monolitically!

They need to support composition out of macro components.
We want macro libraries...

Currently, this is quite difficult with METAL:

  The reference for "metal:use-macro" *inside* a macro
  definition often needs to be the ZPT defining the
  macro and not that of the ZPT using the outer macro.

  Example:

    Assume, I want to build a template library, with
    different headings and page styles.
    I would like something like that:

      <XXX metal:define-macro="StandardPage">
	<YYYY metal:use-macro="container/Headings/macros/StandardHeading" />
      </XXX>

    Unfortunately, this reference will usually not reference
    the "Headings" ZPT beside "Pages" but use the context
    of the "StandardPage" using ZPT.

    To make it work, I have to use the access path from
    the using ZPT. This severely hampers compositionality.

This has been discussed before.
Evan suggested to provide an additional context for macro
usage...

This message is just to stress, that the current state is
a major weakness.

Dieter