[ZPT] response.setHeader() best practice

Alan Kennedy zpt@xhaus.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:45:35 EST5EDT

[Alan wrote]

>> So I think the real answer to this question lies in the
>> server behaviour.
>>
>> 1. Does the server which transmits the resources
>> (currently only Zope) follow the steps outlined above?

[Tino wrote]

> For Zope it could read it at document creation or
> change time rather then at publishing time.

But :-)

What happens if request number one comes from, say, a
German user, who receives a published HTML page, with the
content encoded in iso-8859-1 (i.e. it needs umlauts, etc).

Request number two then comes from a Greek user, who needs
to receive the same published HTML page encoded in
iso-8859-7.

There is no problem with the fixed unvarying content of the
page, i.e. the actual HTML tags and attributes, which
doesn't vary between the different iso-8859-[1..9]
character sets (let's not start on Asian character sets
yet ;-)

But the text that the page contains, say news headlines,
must vary in encoding between the two users, otherwise
they'll be looking at gibberish.

So it has to be at publish time.

Errm. Maybe :-) This stuff gets confusing :-)

Alan Kennedy.

This message was sent using WebMail by CyberGate.
http://www.gate.net/webmail