[ZPT] Re: Path Interpolation

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:21:12 -0500

Jim Fulton wrote:
> No, it does not have my approval. I suppose I should go ahead
> and officially reject it.

Oops.  Looks like Guido mis-channelled you ;-)

> Do we have anyt use cases where people *really* want the value of an
> interpolated variable to be treated as a path expression? I can't
> think of any.

I must admit to not having one at hand.  A quick search through my sites
reveals two uses of '?' and none of 'path()'.  One of the two '?' uses
would be nicer if I could write 'a/?{b/c}' instead of having to define a
variable to hold 'b/c'.

> I could have my arm twisted to use the '$' character, but I think
> that this is a bad idea.

If we're not changing the semantics, '$' would certainly be misleading.

> I would need to see some really convincing use cases to support
> general string interpolation in paths.

So, ZPT folk, do any of you have a real-world example of a case where
"x/?y/z" is inadequate, yet "python:path('...%s...' % v)" and
"python:path(string('...'))" are overkill?

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am