[ZPT] Web Design with ZPT

Joseph Griffin jgriffin@pclnet.net
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:06:37 -0600

Joel, thanks for your response. Let me phrase my question differently. Deep
inside the bowels of Zope dot com there are a group of developers that
decided what features Zope should have based on how they wanted to use the
software in their consulting services (which pays their bills). I suspect in
order to keep their labor costs down, they have adopted a strict regime for
designing, contructing, and maintaining websites for their customers. I have
read (and in some cases studied) a lot of the Zope book's contents. The book
explains what the features are and how to use them in simple examples, but I
have yet to find text that explains how to build a dynamic *and* low
maintance web site. It may not be in Zope dot com's best interest because it
could cut into the need for consulting services. What do you think? Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: zpt-admin@zope.org [mailto:zpt-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of Joel
Burton
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2002 8:52 AM
To: Joseph Griffin
Cc: zpt@zope.org
Subject: Re: [ZPT] Web Design with ZPT

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Joseph Griffin wrote:

> Good Morning,
> I have been listening in on a discussion in the Zope mailing list about
ZPT
> vs. DTML and have been thinking - How far can you take the "write once/use
> everywhere" philosophy with ZPT? Do you guys develop a template that is
> global to the website and have areas where modifications are base on
> location? Could you not then put all the javascripts in one location? You
> know, now that I think about it, it seems that this is not emphasize in
the
> Zope Documentation. Am I off base here? Thanks Joseph

ZPT can include acquired content, so if you have your JavaScript in a
DTMLDocument or File object, you could include this with <script
tal:content="here/javastuff">... javascript goes here</script>. Exactly
like DTML.

ZPT also has METAL, a macro language. Here, you can define "macros" in a
ZPT and have these macros become templates in another ZPT. This has
advantages in some cases--if you have a macro for the page structure, when
someone edits your index.html in a GUI editor, they'll be able to see (but
not change) the common headers, footers, etc.

Figuring out when to use which of these ideas is part of the getting zen
of ZPT.

All of this is explained well in the 2.5 version of the Zope Book.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant