[ZPT] TALES: Path expressions?

Alan Kennedy zpt@xhaus.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:01:55 EST5EDT

Evan wrote:

> The language-independent concept of
> 'paths' used here is deliberately similar to Zope's own
URL-to-object
> mapping.  You can address an object without having to
worry about the
> underlying details of resolving that address.

But since I am using ZPT outside of Zope, because it's
simply a great templating language, following Zope's URL-to-
object mapping is of far less concern to me.

Also, I don't see where the ugliness comes in, if I am
simply 'eval()'ing a python expression, unless python
expressions are themselves ugly. If an object is callable,
then developers could simply call it themselves.

> Joel wrote:
> > plus I think independence from Python was one of design
intentions of the
> > ZPT package.

Independence from python/jython is far less of a concern
for me.

The reasons why I'm thinking this way is that removing path
expressions from the TALES grammar and treating expressions
as path expressions makes it *much* easier to implement.

Hmmmm.

Thanks all,

Alan.

This message was sent using WebMail by CyberGate.
http://www.gate.net/webmail