[ZPT] Name of total sequence length

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:27:10 +0000

Casey Duncan wrote:

> ZCatalog results can be just as bad. Doing a len on a Lazy sequence can
> sometimes result in touching every item.

:-(

> Just make total a method.
>
> Also, why are you calling this total? I think that name implies an
> aggregate sum, not a length. Perhaps it should be called
> "sequence-length" 8*)

Well, it's the total length of the sequence, and it's a short word.

Ideally, 'size' would be the real size of the batch and 'length' would be the
length of the sequence, but sadly someone must have thought the size of the
batch you asked for (the current use of 'size') was more important :-(

I'd really like to keep it as 'total', can anyone provide any reasons why it
shouldn't be?

cheers,

Chris