[ZPT] Optimised ZPT?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 00:06:28 -0500

Chris Withers writes:
 > I think ZPT can now be thought of as a success.

I hope so!

 > When are we gonna see a nice C-optimised version?

Dunno.  Right now, Stephan Richter and I are working on adding the
I18N support to the version in Zope 3.  Once we've done that, it will
need to be back-ported to Zope 2.5 series and the Zope 2 trunk.

Once that is done, we should do another pass at optimizing the Python
version.  I think there's a lot of things we can still do there.

Only once that is done will a C version be a reasonable approach to
consider if performance is still an issue.  (Yeah, I know: it always
is.)  Note also that we expect to see a lot of fundamental
optimization work going into Python 2.3 and 2.4.  That's generally a
better approach to optimization since it will benefit all of Zope, not
just Page Templates.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>