[ZPT] Order of attribute execution Feature Request

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 16:07:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Chris Withers writes:
>  > Jim Penny wrote:
>  > > 2) that is introduces some additional, fairly baroque magic in the
>  > > "order of execution of element type" definitions.  I would have
>  > > preferred that they be evaulated/performed in textual order.

This is a case where i'd say "baroque" is intemperate.  The documention
( http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/TAL%20Specification%201.4 )
not only specifically declares the order of operations operations, but it
goes on to describe the rationale behind them!

Now, if you _disagree_ with the choices, and can cite cases which
substantiate your reasoning, then great, file a collector issue!  But
calling it baroque implies that it's overelaborate and/or obscure to the
informed user - neither of which seems, to me at least, to be the case.

>  > I'd second that... where do we stick feature requests like this?

I would assume it's the Zope collector.  I suppose you could add comments
in the ZPT wiki, as well.  If you see a glaring error, and feel it
warrants stirring up a lot of attention, then post something to zope
coders - but you've both been pretty vague about your complaints, i don't
have the impression you are chafing from some particular error.

> I think the order is irrelevant because the DOM considers
> attributes unordered. Not good to implement things against the standard
> model.

Attributes are unordered in the traversal, but of course the processing of
the resulting structure (the semantics) is up to the application!  And the
documentation is very clear about how the application behaves - with good
motivation.

> Furthermore, changing this facet in the implementation will break
> lots of exiting templates.
>
> Where do we condemn feature requests like this?

:-)

I imagine whoever is responsible for PageTemplates will float a proposal
for changes if they're convinced any are necessary.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com