[ZPT] TAL and METAL in <script> and <style>

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:20:31 +0100

Martijn Pieters wrote:

> In XHTML yes (kind-of, the spec does say that additional namespace elements
> or attributes mean that *strict* conformance is then broken).

So, it's kindof okay but if you're being pedantic, you shouldn't do it?

> In HTML, where namespaces don't exist (and TAL is an anomaly there), no. It
> may be that the TAL engine accepts this syntax for HTML documents, but you
> will just have to try and find out. ;)

It doesn't, but I (and it seems a few others) think it should for both <style>
and <script> blocks. I mean, HTML conformant source is one thing, but this does
feel a bit cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face.

Browsers are used to dealing bith broken HTML, not that this woudl even get to
them, so what is the concern with having TAL and METAL statements in <script>
and <style> blocks?

cheers,

Chris