[ZPT] Re: TAL and METAL in <script> and <style>

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:32:56 +0200

Hi,

--On Montag, 14. Oktober 2002 12:14 +0100 Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com>
wrote:

> Martijn Pieters wrote:
>>
>> The template would be broken. Imagine a browser trying to interpret that
>> style tag (before template rendering). Or a piece of javascript like
>> that.
>>
>> The goal is round-trip-ability for templates; designers can pick up the
>> template again, tweak it in their WYSIWYG editors, and the whole thing
>> would continue to work, or at least as much as possible.
>
> Well, taking this use case, the current behaviour is confusing.
>
> I'm a designer, I get this template I know I'm allowed to tweak but I
> have no idea what this tal: stuff is. I do however, know a bit of
> javascript. So, I happily tweak the <script> stuff ignoring the funny
> tal: bit until it does what I want. I hand over the template to the
> scripter who does his thing and hands off to the customer. I'm then
> confused as to why the customer is unhappy until I find out that none of
> my javascript is working. I wonder what to do next.

If you are designer or of you are working in design mode,
you should get your fingers away from logic. Javascript is
application, so not the domain of the designer.

If you work on application, say javascript or else - you should
get yourself familar with tal: and stuff also.
If you want to write programms - lern it. If you want to design -
just do design :-)

The problem is many people seem to have difficulties to break
work into usefull pieces so they can be distributed to many
people with many different skills. They think if they know something
it would be right to try and do everything - and even worser: everybody
has to work like them :)

Just my $0.05 ;)