[ZPT] Re: URL quoting in ZPT

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:40:45 -0600

On 9/3/02 9:38 AM, "Evan Simpson" <evan@4-am.com> wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>>> I would make a counter-proposal to rename ZTUtils. ;-)  "Utils" is an
>>> abbr., "tools" is not...
>>
>> I agree.
>
> I suggest creating a top-level package named ZTools.  This package would
> supercede ZTUtils and Products.PythonScripts.standard.
>
> Rather than binding 'tools' directly to this package, would it make
> sense to bind it to a singleton object in the package?  This could allow
> us finer-grained access control.

Why not just stick with ZTUtils?  I would like to see
Products.PythonScripts.standard's functions integrated into what gets
brought in to ZTUtils, but:

  . ZTools and ZTTools are eucchy names.  ZTUtils is a bit more
    explainable as "Zope Template Utilities", since they are just
    that.  ZTools is too generic (not to mention that it smacks of
    the horrible-ness of Z SQL Methods.  Whenever I want to add one
    of those things, I'm always looking in the 'S' section of the
    add list, even this many years after using them).

  . I don't think adding another context/namespace to Page Templates
    just to hold these tools necessarily makes sense.  It's simpler
    and more explicit to just use modules/ZTUtils, and have it play
    by the same rules as any other module.

If we want 'tools' or something like it to be always available as a quick
shortcut, I fear that introducing it is the beginning of a death march back
to the cryptic shortcut hell of HTML.

--
Jeffrey P Shell
www.cuemedia.com