[ZPT] Mini proposal: repeat-define and repeat-condition

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:02:42 +0100

Scott Burchill wrote at 2003-1-21 09:27 -0600:
 > Evan Simpson wrote:
 > >
 > > I had propsed changing the order of operations from "define, condition,
 > > repeat, etc." to "repeat, define, condition, etc.", and using a
 > > processing instruction in a similar fashion to Python's "import from
 > > __future__".
 >
 > +1 on this from me as well.  I believe I will use this frequently as
 > well.  Can anyone think of anything that "breaks" because of the change
 > in operation order?  I can't.
Making "tal:define" local with respect to the iteration
would break lots of our existing page templates.
I would not be happy when I had to add some processing instruction
in all of them.

For "tal:condition", I see few problems.

Care must be taken when templates with and without
the processing instruction are combined (via "metal:use-macro").
Execution order may need to be switched for macro body and
back again for slot.
As we want to still support expanded macro text, the
processing instruction can probably not be global but must
affect substructures.

I have a bad feeling about this "dynamic" change of "tal" execution
orders...

Dieter