[ZPT] zope3-dev proposal on changing implicitly calling

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Tue Jul 15 13:42:30 EDT 2003

Steve Alexander wrote:
> Are you talking about TALES in general, or zope page templates in
> particular?

What does the TALES spec say about the concept of a path segment being callable?

> Fine. For page templates in Zope, I think Zope should take
> responsibility for deciding what is callable and what is not, not TALES.
>
> For TALES in other applications, I think the path expression handler for
> that application should decide what is callable and what is not, not TALES.

Yup, this makes sense...

> I think should should still be able to write such things in page
> templates in Zope.

What things?

> The proposal came out of wanting to make calling callables in the middle
> of a path expression work the same as calling callables that appear at
> the end of an expression.

What makes that a good idea?
What makes it a bad idea? ;-)

> I think the difference in behaviour is a
> misfeature.

Hmmm... the main worry I'd have, and I'm pretty sure it's why it's built like it
is, is the worry about making it too 'automagical' (yuk! I hate that word...)
See my reply to Florent...

> In Zope 3, this misfeature will be corrected.

How? Where was the discussion?

>> I think it's nice that non-programmers don't have to understand
>> function calling. It's something hard as a concept to introduce to
>> people who may never need to understand it...
>
> I agree.

...but I worry about really badly confusing them because it appears they don't
have to understand function calling when actually they do...

Chris